Our CSA box from Zahradka Farm this week had the makings of something we have been craving all Summer. Fried Green Tomatoes are good... but served with our Chesapeake Mayo, they are out of this word! Of course, we Tessified the recipe a bit, subbing almond meal for breadcrumbs and shallow frying in coconut oil. The zippy, fresh relish adds a nice cool crunch to the whole thing.
What you need
2 ears of corn, kernels removed
1 small fennel bulb, halved and finely diced
¼ red onion, halved and finely diced
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons Tessemae’s Lemon Garlic
coarse salt and ground pepper
3 green tomatoes
2 large eggs
2 cups almond flour
Coconut oil, for frying
Tessemae's Chesapeake Mayo, for serving
What to do
- Toss together the fennel, corn, onion lemon juice, Lemon Garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Slice the tomatoes into ½ inch rounds. Season with salt and pepper.
- Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl, season with salt and pepper. Place the flour in another bowl, season with salt and pepper.
- Dredge the tomatoes in the egg, then flour, transferring to a sheet pan as you work.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a large nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium. Cook the tomatoes in batches, until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. (You may need to wipe out the skillet between batches and heat new oil.)
- Transfer the tomatoes to a paper towel lined sheet pan as you work and sprinkle them with salt.
- Serve the tomatoes with corn relish with plenty of Chesapeake Mayo.