Looking to up your grilling game? Look no further. Clocking in with only 5 (!) ingredients, you can serve a beautifully browned chicken alongside a green salad that will blow the supermarket's rotisserie chicken out of the water—we promise.
Makes 6 servings
What you need
1 whole chicken (about 4 ½ pounds)
2 lemons, zested
coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup Tessemae’s Lemon Garlic
2 heads red leaf lettuce, chopped, washed and dried
What you do
- Heat grill to medium. Using kitchen shears, cut out backbone of the chicken by cutting on either side of it. Place chicken, breast-side up on a cutting board and press down until you hear the breast bone crack.
- Loosen chicken skin over breasts and legs. Stir together lemon zest, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and rub zest mixture under chicken skin.
- Place chicken skin side down on grill, close cover and cook until skin is crisp and browned, about 10 minutes. Flip chicken over, close cover and grill until cooked through, about another 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from grill and place on a rimmed baking sheet, then tent loosely with foil and let rest for about 10 minutes. Cut chicken into pieces and place pieces on a serving platter; pour any accumulated juices into Lemon Garlic.
- Drizzle chicken pieces with ¼ cup of Lemon Garlic. Toss lettuce with remaining ¼ cup of dressing.