Take grilled portobello caps, and layer them with Tessemae’s Organic Ranch Mayonnaise on toasted whole grain bread. Next, add in red onion, lettuce, and strips of tempeh bacon for all the classic flavor!
Makes: 2 large sandwiches
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
2 portobello mushroom caps, stems removed and gills scraped out
1 tablespoon Tessemae’s Ranch Vinaigrette
1/8 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
4 strips tempeh bacon* see ingredient note
6 slices soft wheat bread
3 tablespoons Tessemae’s Ranch Mayonnaise
2 leaves green leaf lettuce, washed and dried
2 slices red onion
2 slices tomatoes
- Preheat grill for medium high heat.
- Lay portobello caps on a plate. Brush Tessemae’s Ranch Vinaigrette over the tops and bottoms of the mushroom caps. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill the mushrooms until they are soft and juicy, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Set a large non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add tempeh bacon and cook until browned on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn over and continue cooking until hot and browned on the bottom, about 2 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile toast the bread.
- Lay the bread on work surface. Spread all of the slices with Tessemae’s Ranch Mayonnaise.
- Top two of the slices with the tempeh bacon. Place portobella mushrooms on top of the tempeh bacon.
- Top two of the remaining slices of toast with lettuce, onion and tomatoes.
- Stack the two layers together. Top with the remaining slices of toast, mayonnaise side down. Skewer with tooth picks if desired and cut into quarters with a sharp serrated knife.
Ingredient note: Tempeh bacon can be found with other refrigerated soy products such as tofu in large supermarkets. It is often found in the produce department. Crisp, cooked pork bacon can be substituted if desired.