This easy soup gets an infusion of flavor when the mini meatballs poach right in the rich chicken broth. You'll want to make a big batch and eat it all week long!
What you need
For the Meatballs:
1 large egg
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese (optional, not whole30)
2 tablespoons of roasted garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons dry oregano
1 pound ground beef
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper For the Soup:
2 tablespoons Lemon Garlic
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
4 carrots, finely chopped
4 ribs celery, finely chopped2 tablespoons roasted garlic
12 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
20 oz (2 bags) riced cauliflower
5 oz baby spinach
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional, not whole30)
poached or fried eggs, optional
What to do
- Grate the zucchini very finely, on the smallest side of a box grater or using a micro plane. You need 1 cup total. Place on a double layer of paper towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the zucchini, egg, parmesan, roasted garlic, Italian Seasoning, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add the beef and mix until combined.
- Use a teaspoon to form rounded balls of meat (see our prep pic below) and arrange on a parchment or foil line baking sheet. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat Lemon Garlic in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until very tender and beginning to caramelize, about 12 minutes. Stir in the roasted garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in the chicken broth, dill and oregano.
- Cover, bring to a boil, then stir and reduce to a simmer. Drop in meatballs and simmer until they are cooked through, about 5 minutes. (The meatballs will float!) Stir in cauliflower rice, spinach and parmesan and simmer until cauliflower is tender, about 2 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with additional parmesan cheese, dill, a drizzle of Lemon Garlic... and maybe a poached egg!