Think of this as in inverted shepherd's pie—mashed potatoes on bottom, irresistible filling on top. Get this dish in the oven when everyone is outside raking leaves and you'll be the one everyone is thanking for all the hard work:)
Makes 8 servings
What you need
1 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings
2 large red onions, thinly sliced
8 ounces shredded Brussels sprouts
coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup Tessemae’s Italian
3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1/3 cup chicken broth
3 tablespoons grass-fed butter
2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese (optional)
What you do
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with butter.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook sausage, breaking up with a spoon, until browned, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from pan using a slotted spoon.
- Stir in onions and Brussels sprouts to pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in Italian, and add sausage back into pan. Stir until well combined.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water by 1 inch. Bring potatoes to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes, then return to pot and mash with broth, butter and 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Stir in 1 cup cheese, if using.
- Transfer potatoes to prepared baking dish, and top with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese is using, and bake at 400 until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.