Not sure about you, but we always grab eggs for dinner when we don't know what else to make. And this dish is perfect as we're transitioning into cooler fall temps. Feel free to drizzle a little bit of Tessemae's Buffalo Sauce at the end for some extra zing!
Makes 4 servings
What you need
3 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
3 tablespoons ghee
coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds tomatoes, cored
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons Tessemae’s Cracked Pepper
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
½ red onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
¾ teaspoon cumin
4 large eggs
1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted and diced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
What you do
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place oven rack in middle position and place a large rimmed baking sheet on rack; heat baking sheet for 5 minutes. Toss potatoes with ghee and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer potatoes to heated baking sheet and bake potatoes for about 40 minutes, stirring several times throughout cook time. Set cooked potatoes aside.
- Meanwhile, chop tomatoes and place in a colander. Toss with ½ teaspoon salt and place colander over a bowl; let tomatoes drain for 15 minutes.
- Stir lime juice and Cracked Pepper into tomato liquid; set aside.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon remaining ghee to pan and stir in red onion and jalapeno. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cumin and cook 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add tomatoes to pan and cook, stirring often, until broken down, about 10 minutes. Stir tomato liquid into pan and cook about 5 minutes. Use a spoon to create 4 holes in the tomato mixture, and crack an egg into each hole. Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven until whites are just set, about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before topping with avocado and cilantro. Serve with potatoes.