The cookies! The martinis! The creamy dip! It seems impossible to escape the endless barrage of deliciousness during the holiday season. We all know the feeling. The cocktail party is winding down, and then BOOM: you suddenly regret that second trip to the buffet table, or the third glass of champagne…or both. “But it seemed like such a good idea at the time…"
Hey. We've all been there. The average American expects to put on a couple of pounds over the holidays, but we've decided that is one tradition we're willing to break away from. All of us at Tessemae's have decided to focus on working hard to stay healthy and energized this season. Join us?
Some of our favorite tips for the holidays:
- If you’re heading to a party, bring your own healthy dish to share. This guarantees that there will be something that you like to eat. It allows you to spread the love with others, and not to mention: it’s polite! Chef Kristen’s White Bean Rosemary Dip, with Lemon Garlic and Red Wine Vinaigrette, anyone?
- Drink water, water, and more water! It’s hard to remember to stay hydrated in the chilly months that surround the holidays, but this is important! Hot tea (chamomile and ginger are where it’s at), or warm water with fresh squeezed lemon will do the trick.
- Holidays are hectic. Remember to schedule some relaxation time.
- When going out to eat, decide what you are going to eat beforehand and stick to it. Most restaurants provide a copy of their menus online. We like to choose dishes with the most nutrients, which makes veggies an obvious go-to. We also choose foods heavy in protein and healthy fats. Warm, healthy soups are another great choice.
- Moderation is key, but you’ve got to live a little! You can’t deny yourself all of the pleasures of holiday eating. We love to chase our gingerbread cookies with a little eggnog as much as the next guy, but we try to indulge mindfully. That way, we can enjoy small portions of our favorites without overdoing it. Take a look at some tips on Mindful Eating.
- Don’t forget to stay active! Dancing is one of our favorite holiday activities. Regular movement will keep your stress levels down during these next few weeks, allowing you to get enough sleep. That way you are refreshed, happy, and healthy as you spread the holiday cheer! Grab your hiking boots and enjoy the season.
- When it comes to health, our motto is the more the merrier, and what better gift to give than the gift of health? Tessemae’s is a wonderful tool to introduce your loved ones to the delicious world of healthy eats.
We hope these tips will help all of us to achieve balance during this holiday season. We’re gearing up for a groundbreaking 2014. Crank up the beats and pour some Tessemae’s. Holiday parties: here we come!