We served this spring beet salad for lunch at the Treefort last week. The tender beet greens were so tasty with our French Dressing and the sweet juice from the roasted beets.
Active Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
What you need
4-6 small beets (or 2-3 large), with greens
2 tablespoons Tessemae’s Cracked Pepper
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
¼ cup Tessemae’s French Vinaigrette
¼ cup shelled pistachios
What to do
- Heat your oven to 400. Trim the greens off of the beets and save them.
- Place each beet on a small piece of foil and drizzle with Cracked Pepper. Wrap the beets up and place them on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast until tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife. The small beets will cook in about 30 minutes, for large beets it make take an hour.
- Meanwhile, prep the greens. Remove the stems from the greens and discard. Slice the greens crosswise into one-inch strips. Wash the greens by submerging in a large bowl of cold water. Lift them out of the water and pat dry or spin in a salad spinner.
- Once the beets are cooked, let them cool until they are easy to handle. Peel them by rubbing the outside with paper towel, the skins will slide right off. Halve the beets and cut them into wedges. Toss with 2 tablespoons the French Vinaigrette.
Tip: If using yellow and red beets, toss them with the dressing in separate bowls so that the color does not bleed.
- Arrange the beet greens on a platter. Top with the beets, pistachios, and another 2 tablespoons of French Vinaigrette.