This recipe and blog post were created by Megan Roosevelt, RDN & Founder of HealthyGroceryGirl.com, in a partnership with Tessemae's.
What I love about this pizza is that it’s total comfort food while also being gluten-free, dairy-free and made with simple, wholesome ingredients! The crust is made with blanched almond flour which is a great gluten-free and paleo-friendly flour alternative. It’s important to use blanched almond flour, which is different than almond meal. Almond meal is made from grinding almonds, skin included, which creates a course texture. Almond flour is made from blanched almonds that are ground and sifted into a fine flour. The result of using blanched almond flour is a smoother, better texture!
Almond flour is also packed with nutrition such as vitamin E, magnesium, copper, phosphorus and even fiber. While gluten-free baking may be overwhelming, this crust is quite simple to make and turns out great! It’s light yet crispy and the perfect foundation for endless delicious pizza toppings.
Tessemae’s Honey BBQ sauce is a fun and delicious swap for traditional red sauce! It’s sweet and tangy and made with USDA organic, wholesome ingredients. I love finding new ways to use my favorite sauces year-round and this pizza recipe is the perfect way to enjoy Tessemae’s Honey BBQ sauce all year long, beyond the summer grill!
Toppings are personal… so feel free to choose which toppings you like best! Below are just a few ideas that pair well with each other and also with Tessemae’s Honey BBQ sauce. For protein, shredded chicken is classic or you can swap for chickpeas!
Lastly… it is pizza without cheese? I’m a huge fan of cashew “cheese”. Not only is cashew “cheese” delicious, it also packs in protein, fiber, healthy fats, antioxidants as well as vitamins and minerals such as zinc. Did you know that zinc can support your immune health? This creamy cashew “cheese” sauce it great on top of pizza and a great alternative to a traditional dairy-based cheese.
- 1 ¼ cup blanched almond flour
- ¾ cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg, whisked
- ⅓ cup Tessemae’s Honey BBQ Sauce
- ¾ cup shredded chicken or canned chickpeas
- ½ green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ jalapeno, sliced
Cashew ‘Cheese’ Sauce:
- ¾ cup dry cashews
- ⅓ cup filtered water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
To make the cashew ‘cheese’ sauce you will need to begin the day before. Add the cashews to a small bowl or jar and fill with water, so that the cashews are fully submerged. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
The next day, drain and rinse the cashews and add to a small high powered blender with filtered water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast and salt. Blend until smooth. You may need to add a touch more water, that is ok!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add all dry crust ingredients into a large bowl and mix together.
- Add the wet crust ingredients into small bowl and whisk together.
- Add the wet to the dry and stir together, let sit for 3 minutes to thicken up.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper (or a silpat) and pour the crust batter in the center. Use a spatula to spread thin (about ¼ inch thick). This step is kind of like making a giant pancake. Note, you can also split the batter and make two smaller pizzas.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with Tessemae’s Honey BBQ sauce and all other toppings. Drizzle or dollop cashew ‘cheese’ sauce onto the pizza.
- Place back in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes, slice and enjoy!
*Optional: Swap Chicken for Chickpeas!
For more healthy recipe ideas check out the Tessemae’s blog!
Stay connected with Megan at healthygrocerygirl.com or on Instagram @HealthyGroceryGirl!