Pulled Pork Chili
All you need is a little time for this mouthwatering, tender stew. It's perfect to have bubbling away in the oven this weekend while games are on TV. It's also great to make ahead and re-heat right on the grill for a tailgate. We also have a Slow Cooker Variation at the bottom of this recipe!
- 5 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons Tessemae’s Lemon Garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 2 jalapeño peppers, halved, seeded and sliced
- 1 bottle (10 ounces) Tessemae’s Matty’s BBQ Sauce
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- sautéed greens, steamed rice, or cooked grits for serving
- Heat your oven to 325. Cut the pork into 12 pieces. Each should be about 6 ounces and about 5 inches. (See tip.) Season the pork with the cumin, salt and pepper. Heat the Lemon Garlic in a large heavy pot over medium-high. Add 4 pieces of pork and sear until golden on all sides. Transfer the pork to a plate and repeat with remaining pork in 2 more batches. Reduce the heat to medium if needed to prevent scorching.
- Add the onion, garlic and jalapeño and cook, scraping up the brown bits in the pan, for about 1 minute. Stir in the BBQ Sauce, tomatoes, and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil. Add the pork and all juices back into the pot. Cover, transfer to the oven, and cook until the pork is tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Skim off any fat from the top of the stew and discard. Use tongs or a slotted spoon to transfer the pork to a cutting board. Shred into pieces using two forks. Return to the pot and stir in the vinegar. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve on it’s own or over greens, rice or grits.
SLOW COOKER VARIATION
- Transfer the pork to a slow cooker after step 1.
- In step 2, add all veggies and sauce to the slow cooker without cooking.
- Add only 1 cup water.
- Cook on low 8 hrs or high 5 hrs.
This may seem obvious, but a sure way to cut the pork evenly into 12 pieces is to divide it in half, the cut each half into 3, then each of those pieces into 2.