Slow Cooker BBQ Braised Short Ribs
How is it possible for something SO EASY to make to be so good? If you exclude oil, salt and pepper, this is a 4 ingredient recipe. The intense flavor of our Mattys BBQ Sauce or Diggy's Sweet & Spicy BBQ Sauce adds so much, you just don't need anything else.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 8 small beef short ribs (3 pounds)
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon ghee, for searing
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 bottle (10 ounces) Tessemae’s Diggy’s Sweet & Spicy BBQ Sauce or Mattys BBQ Sauce
WHAT YOU DO
- Season the ribs all over with salt and pepper. Heat the ghee in a large skillet over medium-high until shimmering. Add half of the short ribs and sear on all sides until dark golden brown. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining ribs. *See tip below!
- Layer the onion and garlic in the bottom of the slow cooker. Arrange the ribs on top in a single layer. Pour the BBQ Sauce over top.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours (or on high for 5-6 hours) or until ribs are tender. Do not open the slow cooker lid until the end of cooking. If ribs are not tender, cover and cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Skim fat from the sauce and gently toss everything so the ribs are coated. Serve with your choice of sides. We used some mashed sweet potato and wilted mustard greens. (We said 6 servings for these 8 ribs. Big eaters will have 2, light eaters 1. Ribs also vary in the amount of meat.)
Do you see how brown these ribs are on the first side? They are not golden, they are BROWN. This is what makes this dish so good. Do this to every side, before you transfer them to the slow cooker.