BBQ SHREDDED CHICKEN AND SQUASH NOODLE BOWLS WITH AVOCADO-CILANTRO MASH
If you’re reading this between the hours of 7am and 12pm, I’m en route to California.
One of my childhood friends is getting married in Big Sur this weekend and we’ve taken this opportunity to make a mini-vacation out of it and visit Napa Valley.
I’m so excited to visit Big Sur, as I’ve never been and have always wanted to go – all of the photos look absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous! I hope it lives up to its expectations ;-)
It’ll also be nice to go to a wedding and not “take notes.” If you’ve ever planned a wedding before, you know what I’m talking about – you soak everything in and enjoy your friends’ special day while also covertly snapping pics and uploading to Pinterest.
For the past year, every time I’ve gone to a wedding, I’ve picked up something to incorporate in my wedding – from custom cocktail napkins to floral decorations.
Alas, I’m really looking forward to fully enjoying this wedding, see my friends I haven’t seen since the wedding and of course, have fun in Napa Valley (as newlyweds!!!)
This will be my fourth time to Napa and I feel like I’m still a newbie! There are just so many wineries to see, so many things to do and so much great food to eat, it’s overwhelming! It’s such a stunning place and the people are so friendly (a reflection of truly loving where they live and what they do!)
In the meantime, Meaghan will be helping me out while I have limited access to e-mail, so if you need to get ahold of me regarding something urgent, send your inquiries her way (email@example.com.)
Don’t worry, the recipes will keep on keepin’ on! Today, I’m using leftover shredded chicken from yesterday’s recipe and using my favorite bottled BBQ sauce – Matty’s BBQ Sauce from Tessemae’s (it’s insanely good.)
This recipe is quick, easy, has great flavors and saves well in the refrigerator.
Plus, we’re using patty pan squash for the first time this year! Patty pan squashes are a variety of summer squash that have their own nice delicate flavor. One of the reasons why I don’t often spiralize patty pan squashes is because they are very delicate and easily break apart in the pan – so don’t be alarmed when that happens.
If you can’t find patty pan or want to avoid crumbly noodles, don’t cook them (leave them raw) OR substitute in our favorite: zucchini noodles!
Now, it’s off to visit those vineyards! Wish me luck!
BBQ Shredded Chicken and Squash Noodle Bowls with Avocado-Cilantro Mash
- ½ pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- ¼ cup favorite BBQ sauce (I use Tessemae’s Matty’s BBQ Sauce
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 medium yellow patty pan squashes, Blade D, noodles trimmed
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, insides cubed and lightly mashed with a fork
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the chicken breast into a medium saucepan and pour in enough water to cover. Place over medium heat, bring to a boil, and simmer until the thickest part of the breast meat is no longer pink, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a bowl and then shred the chicken, using two forks. Transfer the shredded chicken to a medium mixing bowl.
- While the chicken is cooking, combine all of the ingredients for the avocado mash into a bowl and mix together until avocado is chunky-smooth. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- A few minutes before the chicken is done, place a small pot over medium heat and add in the BBQ sauce, cooking until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the heated BBQ sauce into the bowl with the chicken and stir until chicken is coated in the sauce. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add in the olive oil. Once oil heats, add in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Then, add in the squash noodles and cook for 2-3 minutes or until al dente (or cooked to your preference.)
- Plate the squash noodles into two bowls and top with chicken and avocado mash.