Why did we ever resist the Mason Jar salad craze? Not only does this layered style keep veggies crisp, it allows the food at the bottom of the jars to marinate and become so much more that the sum of it's parts. Plus, they are so darn pretty any girl would be proud to pull this out of a lunch bag. This may have to be a recurring post!
What you need
12 ounces chicken tenders, cut crosswise into 1 inch pieces
1/3 cup Tessemae’s Zesty Ranch
½ teaspoon ground cumin
coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup salsa
1 lime, juiced
4 Persian cucumbers, sliced (or ½ English cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced)
2 cups mixed greens
What to do
- Marinate the chicken in 2 tablespoons Zesty Ranch and ½ teaspoon ground cumin, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper for at least 15 minutes or up to overnight.
- Heat 2 tablespoons Zesty Ranch in a large skillet over medium high. Add the marinated chicken and cook, tossing, until browned and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Stir in the scallions and remove from the heat. Let cool.
- Just before assembling, mash the avocado with the lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the salads in 2 wide mouth quart size mason jars. First divide the salsa, then the avocado, next the chicken. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons Zesty Ranch. Layer on the cucumber, then greens. Top with lids and refrigerate, up to 3 days.
- To serve, invert salads into bowls or plates and enjoy!