Attention Whole30 peeps! This recipe is for all of you who have done a reset and are ready to create and sustain your own version of a healthy diet for the rest of your life (Food Freedom Forever
!). Once you've spotted your food-related triggers and how to avoid pulling them, the next step is this question: is it Worth It? We think this breakfast definitely IS. Oats are a gluten-free whole grain and a great source of fiber and antioxidants.... then factor in healthy fats from eggs, nuts and seeds and plenty of veggies and you're good to go. Be sure to start this oatmeal the night BEFORE so that in the morning, all you have to do is re-heat and choose your own delicious adventure: sweet or savory.
What you need
1 tablespoon grass-fed butter
1 cup steel cut oats
3 cups water
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon Tessemae’s Lemon Garlic
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons Tessemae’s Balsamic
4 cups baby arugula
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 carrots, grated
¼ cup raisins or dried cranberries
2 tablespoons Tessemae’s Honey Balsamic
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
¼ cup coconut flakes
What you do
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add oats to pot and cook, stirring, until smelling toasty, about 3 minutes. Carefully add water and a big pinch of salt and bring to a full boil. Cover, turn off heat and you’re done!
- The next morning, heat over medium-low heat and stir in almond milk to loosen oatmeal.
- Heat Lemon Garlic in a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms to pan and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms have released their liquid and are crispy, about 7 minutes. Remove mushrooms to a bowl, and gently toss with 2 tablespoons Balsamic.
- While mushrooms cook, bring pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Carefully lower eggs into pot and cook for 6 ½ minutes, then transfer to a bowl filled with ice water. Chill until cool enough to handle, then carefully peel starting from the wider end (which contains the air pocket).
- Toss arugula with remaining 2 tablespoons Balsamic.
- Divide oatmeal between four bowls, then top each with mushrooms, 1 egg and arugula.
- Boil grated carrots in 1 cup water over medium-high heat until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in raisins or dried cranberries, Honey Balsamic, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Divide oatmeal between 4 bowls, and top each with carrot mixture, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and coconut flakes.