Today in important things: A mega-creamy, indulgent vegetable (and vegetarian!) gratin that made with exactly zero heavy cream or cheese. What's not to love?
Makes 6 servings
What you need
4 tablespoons Tessemae’s Lemon Garlic
1 large shallot, chopped
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
4 cups cauliflower florets
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth (preferably homemade)
coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Yukon gold potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut ¼-inch-thick
1 pound parsnips, trimmed, peeled and cut ¼-inch-thick
½ pound turnips, trimmed, peeled and cut ¼-inch-thick
What you do
- Heat oven to 400 degrees and brush bottom and sides of cake pan with 1 tablespoon Lemon Garlic. Trace bottom of pan onto parchment paper or nonstick foil and cut out; place in bottom of pan.
- Heat remaining 3 tablespoons Lemon Garlic in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallot to pot and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in thyme and cook 1 more minute.
- Add broth and cauliflower florets to pot and bring to a simmer. Cook until cauliflower florets are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer cauliflower mixture to a blender and carefully blend until smooth, adding Lemon Garlic, broth or water to thin, if necessary. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Layer 1/3 of parsnip slices in bottom of cake pan, then drizzle with TK of cauliflower puree. Repeat with 1/3 of potatoes slices and 1/3 of turnip slices, drizzling each layer with TK of cauliflower puree. Continue alternating layers of veggies 2 more times and cauliflower puree. Drizzle remaining TK of cauliflower puree over top, spreading it evenly.
- Cover cake pan with foil and bake gratin at 400 degrees until very tender, about 40-50 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes.
- Remove gratin from the oven turn on the broiler; let gratin rest 5 minutes. Run a thin knife around edge of pan and carefully invert gratin onto baking sheet and place 6 inches from broiler until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.