One of the coolest things about our test kitchen is that around lunchtime you'll always find people sneaking in to heat up food. Since we all put Tessemae's in everything we eat, lunchtime can end up being an unintentional brainstorm session. These pretty little pies came from one of those sessions. The combo of Bison, BBQ and butter is too good. We topped it off with our Scallion Mashed Potatoes, one of our most popular recipes of all time. This is the perfect St. Pat's day meal!
What you need
For the Topping:
1 Recipe Scallion Mashed Potatoes
For the Filling:
2 tablespoons butter or ghee
1 pound ground bison
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
¼ cup Tessemae’s Matty's BBQ
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup frozen or blanched peas
What to do
- Make the potatoes according to the recipe. Reserve ¼ cup for the filling. Heat your oven to 425.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium- high heat. Stir in the onion and carrot and season with salt and pepper. Cook until just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Crumble the bison into the skillet and cook, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the BBQ and until combined. Stir in the broth the ¼ cup of potatoes. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Divide the filling between 4 individual dishes. Spread the potatoes on top. Bake until heated through and lightly browned, about 15 minutes.