Brisket is too often overlooked as a dish our grandparents enjoyed. Well get a load of this recipe, because you're about to change your tune, big time. This dish, while a bit time consuming, is totally worth it. Block some time on a Saturday afternoon and prepare to be dazzled.
Makes 8 servings
What you need
1 4 1/2 pound flat-cut beef brisket, cut in half and fat trimmed to ¼-inch
¼ cup Tessemae's Lemon Garlic, plus additional for drizzling
4 onions, chopped
3 carrots, scrubbed and chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons Tessemae’s Slow Roasted Garlic
green salad, for serving
What you do
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Pat brisket dry with paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Heat 2 tablespoons Lemon Garlic in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Place 1 piece of brisket in pan and cook until well browned, about 4 minutes. Flip and cook another 4 minutes. Remove brisket from pan and repeat with remaining piece of brisket.
- Remove brisket from pan and reduce heat to medium. Carefully add remaining 1 tablespoon Lemon Garlic to pan. Add onions and carrots to pan and sprinkle with salt. Cook, stirring often, until onions are browned, about 10 minutes.
- While vegetables are cooking, stir together tomato paste and Slow Roasted Garlic. Spread on top of brisket. Place brisket pieces on top of onion mixture. Cover, place in oven and cook for 1 ½ hours.
- Remove pan from oven and transfer brisket to a cutting board. Slice the meat against the grain into thin slices. Return slices to the pot, overlapping them so they are lined up. Spoon some of the liquid in the pan over the slices.
- Cover pan, reduce oven heat to 325 degrees and continue cooking until very tender, another 1 ½ to 2 hours. Serve immediately with a green salad drizzled with Cracked Pepper, or refrigerate, reheat and serve the next day, when it’s even better.