Not sure if you realized it, but tomorrow May 11 is Eat What You Want Day. Instead of going overboard and spending the next day in a shame spiral, why not cook up your own special treat. These french fries came out of the oven (!), and they're just as good as the ones you get in a fancy restaurant...oh and the mussels are also the perfect partner for an awesome dinner.
Makes 4 servings
What you need
5 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed
6 tablespoons Tessemae’s Lemon Garlic
coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds mussels
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup white wine
2 tablespoons cold butter
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons chopped chives
Tessemae’s Mayonnaise, for serving
What you do
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Cut rounded edges off of potatoes, cut into about ½-inch planks, then cut planks into ½-inch fries (check out a how-to video here).
- Place fries in a large saucepan and cover with 1-inch of water. Set heat to high and cook for about 16 minutes (reduce heat to medium if water boils). Fries should be too firm to eat, but shouldn’t have any “crunch”. Drain well.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the Lemon Garlic to a large rimmed baking sheet. Place baking sheet in the hot oven for 2 minutes. Place drained fries on baking sheet in a single layer, then drizzle with 1 more tablespoon Lemon Garlic and salt and pepper. Roast fries until golden underneath, about 20 minutes. Gently toss, then return to the oven for 5 minutes. Repeat this 1 or 2 more times, until fries are golden all over.
- Meanwhile, place the mussels in colander and run under cool water to remove any debris. Scrub if needed. Check each mussel to see if there is a beard (thin, hair like membrane) and remove by pulling off. Discard any open mussels that don’t close when you tap them.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons Lemon Garlic in a large saucepan. Add garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, until softened. Add the mussels and give them a good toss. Stir in the broth and wine; cover and steam over medium heat until mussels open, about 5 minutes. Discard any unopened mussels.
- Turn off heat and remove mussels to a serving bowl. Stir in the butter, half of the parsley and half of the chives. Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Pour the warm sauce over the mussels, and sprinkle remaining parsley and chives over fries. Be sure to serve with plenty of Mayonnaise.