Southwest Squash, Kale & Turkey Meal Prep Bowls
Grab your tupperware because Sunday Meal Prep is here! These Southwest Bowls are filled with seasoned ground turkey, cooked in southwest spices and red onion, then piled on top of shredded kale, roasted butternut squash, and toasted pepitas! Top with our zesty Cilantro Lime Ranch to add a pop of citrusy goodness to your meal-prepped containers.
- 1 small butternut squash, cut into cubes, about 5 cups 6 teasopoons avocado oil, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt, divided
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons Southwest or Mexican seasoning spice blend*
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup water
- 8 cups finely shredded kale, washed and spun dry
- 4 tablespoons toasted pepitas
- ½ cup Tessemae’s Cilantro Lime Ranch Dressing
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss squash with 4 teaspoons oil, ¾ teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Spread out on a large rimmed baking sheet and transfer to the oven. Roast, stirring once or twice until the squash is browned in spots and fork tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often until the onion is starting to brown and soften, 5 to 6 minutes. Add turkey and the remaining ¾ teaspoon salt and cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon, and cook until the turkey is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle on Southwest spice blend and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato paste and water. Bring to a simmer, stirring and cook until thick, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Divide kale among four large resealable containers. Top with the squash, the turkey and pepitas. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days. Serve meal prep bowls with Tessemae’s Cilantro Lime Ranch Dressing
*Available commercially in large supermarkets. To make a blend of your own, combine 1 tablespoon chili powder, 2 teaspoons ground cumin, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon and ½ teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder.