Balsamic Braised Short Ribs over Mashed Cauliflower
Studies show the combination of slow-cooked short ribs, mashed cauliflower and Tessemae's Balsamic & Slow Roasted Garlic is a recipe for pure joy. Make this recipe and see for yourself!
Makes 4 servings
- 4 pounds beef short ribs
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 tablespoons Tessemae’s Balsamic
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Tessemae’s Slow Roasted Garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter or ghee
- Dry short ribs with paper towels, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of short ribs to pan. Cook short ribs until well browned all over, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining short ribs.
- Meanwhile, add onion, carrot and celery to food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Remove ribs to slow cooker bowl and remove all but 2 tablespoons fat from pan. Reduce heat to medium and Add onion mixture to pan and cook, stirring often until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Stir 3 tablespoons Balsamic, 3 tablespoons Slow Roasted Garlic and tomato paste into onion mixture and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add onion mixture to slow cooker bowl along with 1 ¼ cups chicken broth. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- When there is 1 hour cook time remaining, place cauliflower florets in a steamer basket over 1 inch of boiling water in a large pot. Cover and steam until tender, about 20 minutes. Blend steamed cauliflower with remaining ¼ cup chicken broth, 1 teaspoon Slow Roasted Garlic and butter using an immersion blender or a food processor. Cover with foil and set aside.
- When short ribs are finished cooking, remove large pockets of fat from surface with a large spoon or ladle. Remove short ribs to a platter and cover with foil.
- Using an immersion blender or blender, puree vegetable mixture with remaining 2 tablespoons Balsamic, salt and pepper to taste until smooth. Serve short ribs and sauce over mashed cauliflower.